STUDENTS 0 Credit Hour Internship Benefits, Requirements and Policies
- Students have the advantage of gaining valuable work experience without needing to pay tuition. This is particularly helpful in disciplines where internships are frequently low paid or not paid at all.
- The University’s official transcript notation recognizes the importance and value of internships as a part of the college experience.
- Student maintains full-time student status. This status usually allows students to remain covered by family health insurance and it defers the repayment of student loans.
- Professional experience which relates to student's major field or area of career interest
- At least 80% professional work
- Occupies at least one academic term (fall, spring or summer)
- At least 10 weeks during spring or fall term, or 8 weeks in summer
- Full or part-time intern must work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Requires continuous supervision by a professional in the field (not a student)
- Completion of 1st year and 12 semester hours of UI Coursework
Professional conduct: I understand that I am to act in a professional manner at all times. I understand that it is my responsibility to find out from my internship site the specific details of my duties, work schedule, compensation, and benefits. I understand that I will be subject to the rules and regulations of the internship site.
Health/accident insurance: I understand that it is my own responsibility to carry appropriate health and accident insurance during my internship.
Unemployment compensation: I understand that as a student enrolled in an internship or cooperative education experience, I will not be eligible to file for unemployment compensation from the University of Iowa and may not be eligible to file for unemployment compensation from my internship site.
As an intern/cooperative education student, I agree to register my experiential learning experience with the Pomerantz Career Center; fulfill my responsibilities to the Pomerantz Career Center, appropriate faculty, and internship site; and notify the Pomerantz Career Center if my internship status changes after the start of my assignment.
I understand that continued use of career center resources is contingent upon my adherence to this agreement.